Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day 11: ANGRY!!!

MAN. So last night, late in the night, they replaced a lot of equipment in the gym, as in all of the weightlifting stuff. Awesome right? NO! They have made this place almost entirely woman-proof. They got rid of the 3s, 8s and 12s, and got all these new weight stack machines that can't be used with the supplementary plates that increase the weight more gradually. AAAUGGGGHHHH. I was so mad. I went in to do my upper body workout this morning, and almost turned around and went home. But I didn't want to go home! I wanted to work out hard, and instead I ended up spending a lot of time moping and the rest of the time banging out half-hearted sets with the wrong weight just so I could check this day off. I was in tears by the end. Don't mess with my routine, people!

So, I went through a series of plans in my head to deal with this. And in the end of course I took the most logical and grownup course, because I am a responsible old lady. I went to the facilities manager and told him that it appeared he had removed most of the stuff that I (and other women) like to use, and that it was hard for me to do my workout now. It's kind of hard to explain when I don't know the technical terms for things, but I was like "And the machines, they have plastic, and you can't put on a plate." I was able to make him understand, and he said that they're still settling in and things would be improving. So I said "Well, just remember to think of the women." I'm such an awesome crusader for good. Actually, I just happen to have gone to a women's college, so my first experiences with lifting weights were in a weight room specifically designed for women. I was told that this was an amazing and rare thing, but I didn't realize how true that was until I got here. Even my wonderful little Bally's in Boystown, Chicago had pretty decent stuff for women.

Anyway, upper body workout is checked off and I'm letting go of my anger, trying to have some faith that when I get back in the gym on Saturday or Sunday after my trip, it will be improved. And if not, then I can go through the rest of my list of solutions, most of which involve throwing a temper tantrum and asking for my money back, then joining the $130/mo posh gym down the street. Most of my solutions to life's problems seem to lead me in that direction, but I really can't. Besides it already being $130/month, and therefore cutting into my budget for entertainment and eating and rent, it's far enough away that to actually go there regularly I'd have to buy a monthly subway pass, which adds $76 to the monthly price. Ouch. For $100 I'd just live there and stop going out to anyplace else, but $200/month sadly isn't worth it at this point, despite the awesomeness of the locker room and sauna and everything else. One day I'll have to blog about my AMAZING experience at the posh gym. School is giving out free week passes and I'm going to see if they'll let me in even though I did that last year. So fantastic.

Off to Boston tonight! No entries until probably Saturday.

No comments: